Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1965.304
Object Name Photograph
Date 1860
Description The first school house built in Smithtown, located in Village of the Branch on Old Route 111. Built on the land of Epenetus Smith II, the house would have been erected around 1802. Whalt Whitman taught there as well from 1837-38.

This photo of it shows a school group gathered out on the front laawn, stamding with their teacher.