Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1971.393
Object Name Photograph
Date c. 1872
Description 1973.393) Sepia photograph of Newton's Riverside Hotel. A number of people, mostly women, are visible on the front porch. There is a yard and drive in front. The photograph is mounted on cardboard, which gives it a 1/4" border on the top and bottom, and a 1" border on the sides. Notes on the back read "Hotel owned by / Benjamin Newton / at Smithtown, 'Head of River' / His wife was Ellen Taylor / Daughters Ida, Julia, Minnie, / Sons Herbert, Harvey." It is stamped on the back with the Historical Society's name and address. See Image #1

1971.393a) This is a black and white copy of the same photograph, with a 1" white border. Notes on the back of this read "This was the beginning of what later became the Riverside Inn at Head-of-the River. Site is now a small town park. (1988". It is also stamped on the back with the Historical Society's name and address. See Image #2